After purchasing a giant tub of hazelnut butter – because I LOVE it. I’ve become quite creative in its use. I add it to my overnight oats, protein shakes, berry smoothies, cookies – and anything else I can think of! But this recipe is a simple favourite. It’s one that my children keep asking for time and time again. It’s kind of Ferrero Rocher-y in taste, only raw, vegan and minus the sugars. My energy bar is also SuperVegan – using only 6 ingredients and can be rustled up in 10 minutes.
This SuperVegan energy bar is recipe is:
- Rich and very chocolatey
- Packed with antioxidants
- Free-from refined sugars
- Can be frozen
- Perfect for the little ones in your life.
How to make your own raw hazelnut energy bars (with suggested variations).
What you need
- 1 and 1/4 cups medjool dates pitted
- 1 and 1/2 cups raw hazelnuts
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup hazelnut butter
- 5 Tbsp raw cacao powder
What to do
Add all ingredients to a food processor. Making sure you stop regularly to scrape down the sides and prevent overheating. Once you have achieved a consistency you are happy with – scoop the mixture out into a lined tray and refrigerate until firm. Cut into rectangles and store in the fridge or freezer. They will last for about a week in an airtight container in the fridge (if you can resist that long!).
- Try switching the raw hazelnuts to cashew nuts for a creamier taste and texture.
- To add additional nutritional value to your energy bars, soak the raw nuts of choice overnight, wash and allow to dry either naturally or in a dehydrator.
- Any nut butter would work here, but my personal favourites are hazelnut and almond butter.
- The bars can be topped with chopped nuts, desiccated coconut or cacao nibs for additional taste and texture.
I would love to know how you get on so please do let me know and send me some pictures!